Fasten your seat belts, ladies and gentlemen… the summer period is here! Already we have had four terrific hit movies in the year, the kind of blockbusters that is usually the domain of this summer session. Deadpool, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Zootopia have collected more than $700 million globally, while The Jungle Book is also raking in solid numbers to join that club. But still the summer blockbusters hold their own charm. And 2016 ain’t gonna be different at all. The month of May will kick off the season with eight wide releases, three of which belong to the ‘big budget franchise movie’ category. But there are always the lower budget surprises too, and discovering them carries a special pleasure. So here are five movies from May that we are eagerly looking forward to. Fingers crossed that we get a truly exciting summer!
5) The Nice Guys: Not the typical summer flick you would usually see with your family, but The Nice Guys holds heaps of potential. This is Shane Black’s first movie as a director since Iron Man 3. The lead actors include Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling. Ain’t bad, eh? The movie is a crime-thriller where a private investigator uncovers a conspiracy while investigating the apparent suicide of a fading porn star in 1970s Los Angeles. As I said, it has heaps of potential!
4) The Angry Birds Movie: If everything goes as per plan, this should be the beginning of a franchise. The popular mobile game has a cute-looking movie version that had me rolling with laughter when the trailer was released. This animated movie is coming from Sony Pictures Animation who has done a good job with Hotel Transylvania series. The movie will feature the voices of Peter Dinklage, Sean Penn, Jason Sudeikis, Bill Hader along with others. So if you are eager to understand why the birds are so angry and what is their tiff with the pigs, then head to your nearest theatre once this movie releases!
3) Alice Through the Looking Glass: 2010’s superhit film Alice in Wonderland has an equally impressive looking sequel, as far as visuals are concerned, on its way. Alice Through the Looking Glass will continue the journey of Alice, played by Mia Wasikowska, in a strange magical place that had been made famous in the books of Lewis Carroll more than a century back. The sequel will see the return of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter along with Anne Hathway, Helena Bonham Carter, Stephen Fry and we will even get to hear the late Alan Rickman for one final time. We also have Sacha Baron Cohen joining the group, playing the role of Time. Tim Burton has not directed the sequel, which is my only concern, and has been replaced by James Bobin who worked on The Muppets series with Sony in the recent past. The movie is slated for a late May release.
2) X-Men: Apocalypse: The X-Men series reached a new high with 2014’s X-Men: Days of the Future Past. Now the franchise has achieved a new peak as the spin-off Deadpool blew everyone’s mind to become the biggest grosser of the series so far. So the challenge has been thrown back to Bryan Singer as his sequel to 2014’s hit film comes to the theatres in a few weeks. In the new movie, Singer has brought one of the biggest villains from the comics, Apocalypse, the first mutant being, terrifyingly strong, and carrying his own ideologies on how the world is supposed to be. Oscar Issac is playing this new threat to the X-Men, as we meet the older group again with James McAvoy as Professor X, Michael Fassbender as Magneto and Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. The trailers have looked amazing so far, carrying the look of a perfect blockbuster all over it. Under the able hands of Bryan Singer, can it be anything else!?
1) Captain America: Civil War: We could have waited no longer for the next instalment of the Marvel series! Captain America: Civil War is finally here. Releasing on the first weekend of May, this movie will create a divide between the superheroes we have come to love, as Captain America and Iron Man lead the two factions. So whose team are you in, that has been the question thrown at us as the first trailer of the movie showed Captain America and Iron Man battle it out ruthlessly. The excitement around the movie does not end there. It will introduce Black Panther for the first time, who will be played by Chadwick Boseman. And did I forget to mention the return of Spider-Man? Spidey will be relaunched by Sony through their collaboration with Marvel in Captain America: Civil War, this time being played by the younger actor, Tom Holland. The Russo brothers, who directed the amazing Captain America: The Winter Soldier and are in charge of the next Avengers movie, know what the audience wants from a Marvel movie, and I bet they will end up giving us more. It’s always a great start to the summer with Marvel around!