The month of May came out with a high-budget high-stakes movie in each of its weekend. The visual effects were enthralling, the stories were entertaining, the box-office collections have also been huge. We would love to see June continue with that lavishness, but the studios too have learnt their lessons from last year’s high-profile debacles. So June holds only seven wide releases over its four weekends, and while it has its big-budget action films, there is also a bit of comedy, drama and even a musical rolled in for the month. On the face of it, June may be a letdown after the offerings that May had, but such harsh judgments are only for the cynics, and that we ain’t for sure. So let’s enjoy the films of June, as the summer season rolls on, and here are the five that could make this month as entertaining as the previous one.
5) The Fault in Our Stars: There is drama and there is romance. And there is also Shailene Woodley. The Fault in Our Stars is based on the popular book of the same name written by John Green. While I haven’t read this one, there are those who could not keep their eyes dry while turning the pages. So if you love the emotional tales, the ones that can make you weep and laugh at the same time, this might be just the movie for you.
4) 22 Jump Street: There is no drama here, only R-rated comedy. And of course, the duo of Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill. Coming on the back of the success of 21 Jump Street, these undercover officers are now headed for a local college to crack another case. All that worked two years back seems to have been kept alive for this sequel, though only the coming month will tell whether the magic can work again or not.
3) Edge of Tomorrow: There is a time loop here, a day that keeps repeating itself, and a Tom Cruise that is getting no younger. Edge of Tomorrow will test once again the star-power of Cruise as he battles aliens in this sci-fi action film along with Emily Blunt. The movie’s premise is made to sound interesting, though appears not too original, yet is something that can still hold our attention. It is also the first high-budget film releasing in June and so a lot is at stake. Directed by Doug Liman, the director of The Bourne Identity, the action scenes after all should be worth our time!
2) Transformers: Age of Extinction: Love them or hate them, you cannot ignore them. For they are so gigantic! There is a lot of action in store here, it is a Michael Bay Transformers movie after all. There is Optimus Prime, who cannot not be loved. And for those who still go giddy about Marky Mark, well there is Mark Wahlberg too. The Transformers series has delivered on its promises in the past, that of high octane action that refuses to slow down throughout the entire course of the movie. There is no reason to believe this one will be any different. For the skeptics, who wonder about plot details after each shot, you could stay home. This one is just for those high on action and fun!
1) How To Train Your Dragon 2: This one has dragons. This one has Vikings. This one is the sequel we have been waiting for so long. Ever since DreamWorks Animation hit bulls-eye back in 2010 with the previous movie. Now Hiccup and Toothless are returning for another round of adventure, that we eagerly want to be a part of. This film also welcomes a newcomer, the one and only Cate Blanchett. Now tell me of a reason to skip this film! How to Train Your Dragon 2 is also the first animated film releasing in the summer period, a category which has strangely gone barren in the past few months, which makes us more desirous to see one. So it is time to spread your wings and take that flight… for on the other side an adventure awaits!