Here we go. It’s summer time again. A year has flown away, and it feels only like yesterday when we were all awaiting the summer season to kick-off with Iron Man 3, and then there was the much-awaited Man of Steel to look forward to, along with Fast & Furious 6, Despicable Me 2, Star Trek Into Darkness, and a host of other films. Well, those are things of the past now. A new year, a new summer, and many new films to feast upon this time. This will be once again the time for the superheroes to emerge from the shadows, science-fiction flicks to make a mark, big production budget figures being regularly heard, but also there will be the ones that were wrongly ignored and became surprise hits, the underdogs that stole the show. So where to begin with, for May 2014 has a range of offerings. We try to pick the five that we find the most interesting of the lot.
5) A Million Ways to Die in the West: Apart from the ridiculously long title, this movie has a cast that will hold your attention too. With Seth MacFarlane in the lead role, it also has the dazzling duo of Liam Neeson and Charlize Theron, along with a few more known names as Amanda Seyfried, Neil Patrick Harris and Christopher Lloyd. This is a western comedy directed by MacFarlane whose last directorial venture was the surprise summer hit of 2012, Ted. Maybe he can repeat the feat this summer too!
4) Maleficent: Releasing on the last weekend of May, same as the movie above, Maleficent has the Disney banner behind it, and Angelina Jolie in front. Not a bad combination, eh! It’s the tale of the villainous wicked witch created in Disney’s 1959 film Sleeping Beauty who curses a young princess and puts her to sleep. We wouldn’t be too excited of a witch from the yesteryears, but this is Jolie we are talking of, and the movie now merits our attention.
3) Godzilla: It may be the umpteenth take on this giant beast in world cinema, but only a few have come from Hollywood. And given the scale at which summer blockbusters are made now, and the technological advancements since the last Hollywood one in 1998, we are expecting something huge, scary, and worth every penny spent! The promos have done well to create a post-apocalyptic feel to this movie, which is the least that this beast deserves, and now we hope that the movie truly pays homage to this legendary creature.
2) X-Men: Days of Future Past: Apart from the recent and serious allegations on director Bryan Singer, there seems to be only positive vibe surrounding the latest X-Men movie. Firstly, the studio got Singer back at the helm which was something cheered by the franchise faithful for he is the man who orchestrated the first two films in this series, and secondly, it has such a humongous cast. A delightful thought indeed to see some of the famous X-Men characters in their younger and older days, especially Professor X and Magneto, and add to that the fact that it is Wolverine who has to bridge the gap between the two eras. Enticing, indeed! And could this be the last time we get to see Hugh Jackman snarl and take out those claws… it may very well be.
1) The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Many complained about the logic behind rebooting a series only a few years after a trilogy had been completed. The reason was simple, the original team was no longer involved and the studio felt the character still had a lot of potential to entertain and be a success. It did truly work with The Amazing Spider-Man which released in 2012 with Andrew Garfield wearing the mask now and Emma Stone being his love interest, Gwen Stacey. And with The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the scale seems to have been enlarged with multiple villains including Jamie Foxx who has been roped in to play Electro. This film has got entertainment written all over it! It’s not going to be a long wait to catch the web-slinging hero as the film releases in the first weekend of May itself.
So characters from two Marvel comic series come on screen in May, X-Men and Spider-Man, and incidentally, film rights for both are not owned by Marvel Studios. Which of the two will emerge stronger at the box-office? The superhero battle begins.
Till then, catch up with the trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 here, in case you want to get a feel of what the movie will have in store for you. Enjoy the summer bonanza!