This is one of the most crowded months of February that I can remember. Four weekends, each with three wide releases, making that a total of 12 movies to choose from. As always there is a wide variety of movies to pick from, and interestingly, quite a few big acting names too, which isn’t that common a thing so early in the year. From this big list, we select five movies where we pin our hopes that they would turn out to be as entertaining as they initially look like.
5) Gods of Egypt: The casting choices for this adventure/fantasy film have already created a stir for which Lionsgate even issued an apology. Barring that matter, Gods of Egypt has the look of an entertaining large-scale action-filled movie, though we have seen plenty of such promises fail in the past. Hopefully with Gerard Butler in the acting cast, this one will not let us down.
4) Eddie the Eagle: This biopic is based on Great Britain’s first ski jumper to enter the Winter Olympics. The young star of Kingsman: The Secret Service, Taron Egerton is playing the role of Eddie “The Eagle” Edwards. Joining him is none other than Hugh Jackman who is always a good enough reason to go to the movies. Christopher Walken adds to what is looking like an exciting star cast.
3) Zoolander 2: If you have seen 2001’s Zoolander then you could not have forgotten Derek and Hansel, the dumb male models who end up saving the Prime Minister of Malaysia. Oh, and you couldn’t possibly have forgotten the “Magnum” look! We get to see the duo – played by Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson – in action once again in this sequel which is being directed by Stiller. Joining the duo again is Will Ferrell alongwith Penelope Cruz, Kristen Wiig and Benedict Cumberbatch. The movie’s premise revolves around Derek and Hansel’s efforts to stay in business when an opposing company attempts to take them out. Give them the “Magnum” look, I say!
2) Hail, Caesar!: A movie from the Coen brothers can never be overlooked. Their movies are always a piece of work that is unique to cinema. When they get all the elements together, they create a masterpiece. Hail, Caesar! looks to be one in the making – a period film about a Hollywood fixer working in the 1950s to keep the studio’s stars in line. The cast boasts of so many terrific names – Josh Brolin, George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes, Scarlett Johansson, and even Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill – some of whom may have just dropped everything to get a chance to work with the Coen brothers. The initial trailers have looked great, a mix of comedy and suspense, and we cannot wait to check out the final movie.
1) Deadpool: The buzz around this spin-off of the X-Men series had been doing the rounds for such a long time, ever since Ryan Reynolds played this character back in 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It never looked that it will reach the production stage until one day, it eventually did. Going by the trailers and the promotional material, it is looking as fantastic as a Deadpool movie was meant to be. Going for a R-rated certificate has been a gutsy decision by the studio, for that allows the creators of the movie to give Deadpool a personality that suits him. Success of this movie might make other studios bolder too to at times move away from the ‘play it safe’ PG-13 superhero flicks. If you want a glimpse of what the movie has to offer, check out the red-band trailer here. Fingers crossed that Deadpool is a mix of fun, laughs and action!